Middleton is a small town in which Cassie Nightingale and her family resides. It is also the main location throughout the series.
On October 12, 1794, Nathaniel and Meredith Merriwick officially founded Middleton. They brought a trove of treasures with them from the old world. They wrote a town charter that detailed the town and included their signatures and an official Middleton seal. They also incorporated a hidden message to help the next Mayor find a treasure they hid somewhere in town. The location of the treasure lost with the duo in the great flood. Over time, residents forgot about the treasure and it became another piece of lore in the town.
In 1818, Middleton and Blairsville coincided in perfect harmony. Patience Merriwick of Middleton was set to marry Roderick Davenport of Blairsville. Upon their exchanging of vows, the most prominent family in each town would be forever joined. Patience's heart belonged to someone else, William Spry. William worked in the mines, and it was there that he unearthed a ruby-like no other - some even say it held magic inside. On October 31, 1818, he gifted her a ruby during one of their secret rendezvous by the Middleton Wishing Well. Their secret was discovered by Roderick's family. That night, at Grey House, William was conscripted into the war. His hasty departure was cleverly orchestrated by the Davenport family. William vowed to return before Patientice's wedding day. He promised that no matter where he was in the world the ruby would lead his heart back to hers. Patience's father was worried she would sneak out to find William, so he confined her to Grey House.
One year later, on All Hallows' Eve, the night before her wedding to Roderick, Patience vanished and was never seen again. She left behind the ruby, which since become known as the Heart of Middleton. Roderick and his family never got over the slight that Patience inflicted on their family. causing a rift between Blairsville and Middleton that exists to this day.
A series of strange events and disasters occurred in 1886, starting with a bridge collapse and a terrible windstorm that caused power outages. The residents believed that Cotton Perriwood had caused the disasters and banished him from town on a stormy Halloween night.
In 1956, there was a horrible flood that struck Middleton and almost destroyed the town.
Throughout Good Witch Films
In 2008, then-Mayor Tom Tinsdale worked alongside police chief Jake Russell to help the community. Cassie Nightingale moved to Middleton at the beginning of the year, and began living in the once dilapidated Grey House, which she planned to rebuild. The town was rattled by Cassie's sudden arrival, especially when her new-age shop, Bell, Book & Candle, opened on Main street. Rumors spread about Cassie being a witch who practiced black magic, and the town revolted against her. However, after a while, Martha Tinsdale accepted that Cassie wasn't Evil and the rest of town slowly began to fall under her spell.
In 2009, the town celebrated its two-hundred-year anniversary. They also competed against Blairsville in the Harvest festival and won.
Around 2012, during the events of "The Good Witch's Charm", a map on the wall of the Middleton P.D. showed that Middleton was located northwest of Chicago, in the vicinity of DuPage County.
In 2015, Mayor Tom Tinsdale proposed an annexation bridge that would merge Middleton and the rival town, Blairsville together. A group of townspeople banded together to stop the annexation, which led to Cassie Nightingale being elected as a candidate for Mayor.
Throughout Good Witch Series
During "The Storm" and "Together We Stand...", Middleton was hit with the worst snowstorm the city had seen in twenty years. The impact of the storm forced Mayor Martha Tinsdale to reach out to its sister town of Blairsville for help, as Blairsville had more snowplows and crewmen to spare.
Between "All Dressed Up" and "How to Make a Middleton Quilt", Mayor Tinsdale remade the Middleton crest. She even had little pins of the crest made so that the residents could proudly showcase their hometown.
In "Tossing the Bouquet", Martha discovered a Blairsville bench in a residential area of Middleton and instructed Jared to figure out why the bench was on Middleton property. Meanwhile, Abigail was forced into the political entanglement when she requested to have a branch in front of her store cut down so her sign was visible. She had to become a member of the council to vote and was then elected President of the Council so she could implement the decision to cut down the branch.
In the meantime, Martha's assistant Jared revealed starting information to Martha, saying that the way the border of Middleton and Blairsville runs, Martha is technically a resident of Blairsville, not Middleton. Due to this, Jared was forced to strip Martha's title as Mayor and the duty was passed onto the President of the City Council, Abigail Pershing. Martha moved out of the Mayoral office and Abigail moved in and officially became Mayor Pershing.
After a few months, the new Mayor of Blairsville, Donovan Davenport, adjusted the town line and restored Martha's home to the city of Middleton, thus allowing her to resume her mayoral duties.
In "The Treasure", Mayor Martha Tinsdale discovers the original town charter in a secret alcove in the archives of City Hall the day before Founders Day. She called an emergency town meeting to share the discovery. During the meeting, watermarks are revealed when water touches the charter. Martha believes this might be a map to the fabled Middleton Treasure lost in 1794. She enlists the help of a sea master Vincent and Middleton's historian, Natalie, to find the treasure. Over a series of clues, they are lead to an ancient sundial, City Hall, and finally, Wishing Well Park. While they didn't find the actual treasure, they did find a treasure box made of sand that was hidden inside the Well. Sam Radford later uncovered that the charter itself was a clue, and the logo, "the truth lies within" was literal. He found a key inside one of the screws on the ends of the parchment. The treasure itself is found in "The Graduation".
In The Chili, Mayor Martha competes against her husband and former Mayor Tom Tinsdale for the upcoming Mayoral election. He wants to expand the footbridge to allow motor traffic through, while she maintains that the footbridge remain. Wanting to expand the bridge was something he promised the people of Middleton before he resigned, and something Martha promised to uphold, though the citizens of Middleton disagree. Martha worries the memories attached to the bridge, such as picking strawberries at Mr. Meyers farm with Tom, will fade. Upon assurance they won't, Martha convinces Mr. Meyers to sell a portion of his land to allow for motor traffic to be detoured around the footbridge.
Locations Within Middleton
- Police Headquarters
- Mayors Office
- City Council Room
Events and Festivals
- Harvest Festival - The annual harvest festival is held each year and mirrors the long-standing competition between Middleton and Blairsville.
- Lights Festival - One of the grandest and more complicated ceremonies in Middleton, the festival used to be managed by Bonnie. However, when Bonnie was forced to call out the last minute, the baton passed to an all-to eager Abigail. The festival required the manager to confirm concession stands, notify businesses of their duty to decorate, as well as oversee the staff for the entire festival. Middleton was also best known for their signature Ferris wheel, that gave an amazing view of the town. When Abigail failed to come through with planning the ceremony, Stephanie and Mayor Tinsdale were forced to step-up and realized that the ceremony always needed more than one person to manage it. The festival takes place in December.
Notes and Trivia
- "Middleton" is a real city located in Washington as well as a town in Massachusettes.
- The town's major rival is Blairsville, as the latter is a larger town with more supplies and press.
- Middleton is known to be close to several large lakes and has at least one major river running through it.
- Even though it is described as a small town, it does have its own high school.
- Their first bad storm began in, The Storm, and ended during, Together We Stand....
- The town has had three known female mayors, Martha Tinsdale, Cassie Nightingale, and Abigail Pershing, and one known male mayor, Tom Tinsdale.
- The password to the cities website is, "password", as Martha wanted it to be something that she could remember.
- Halloween is one of Middleton's largest events, and the one holiday that brings in the most tourists and pulls residents out of their homes.
- The address for City Hall is 1875.
- The population has grown from 724 to 11,628 since its creation. The welcome signs date back to the beginning of Middleton when the town held a mere 724 people and grew to 2,867, 7,216, and finally, to 11,628 town residents.
- Due to the border of Middleton and Blairsville, the Northside of a street and all residents on that side are residents of Blairsville. All residents on the Southside are Middletonians.
- This was later altered by Mayor Donovan Davenport per Abigail's request. It is unclear where the town line is now, but Endicott Road is officially part of Middleton.
- There are a number of residents who have had streets named after them.
- "Endicott Road" was named after Douglas Endicott, the believed hero of Middleton who saved strangers from a mysterious fire. It was later rededicated to Doris Endicott, the real hero of that night.
- "Shanaman Road" was named after the infamous millionaire who lived in Middleton during the 1880s. The road, however, was renamed "Norman Way" after Shanaman's illegal poker game was exposed.
- You can only paint your house one of four colors in Middleton. Martha refuses to allow Stephanie's mustard request even with a dash of canary, an approved color.
- Middleton filming locations are based in Hamilton and Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario, Canada. Grey House is Foxbar House in Dundas, Ontario.
- According to a map on the wall in the police station, Middleton is located north-west of Chicago, around DuPage County. The Season 5 episode, "The Treasure" reveal the latitude and longitude of Oak Ridge Forest Preserve, just south-east of Rockford, and about eighty miles north-west of Chicago, as the location of Middleton's Town Well.